The process of submitting either a journal paper or notebook article is intended to be as simple and straightforward as possible to encourage prospective authors.
Please adhere to the following, simple instructions for preparing manuscripts for publication to help facilitate rapid publication of papers and notebook articles.
AIG Journal Papers
- Papers may be submitted in Microsoft Word or Apple Pages format.
- Papers may be any length.
- Please use 1.5 or double spaced text on an A4 page with a minimum of 2.5 cm margins on all sides. A clear, easily read font (e.g. Times New Roman, Arial, Calibri etc) is preferred. Do not indent paragraphs.
- Footnotes and endnotes are acceptable.
- Please do not use more than four heading levels in papers. Heading levels should be set using styles in the software used to prepare the manuscript to ensure consistency throughout the document.
- Refer to all Figures, Equations, Photographs etc in the manuscript text. These references will be used to position illustrations and tables in the final versions of papers.
- Tables may be embedded in the manuscript text.
- Figures and other Illustrations should be provided in JPG, GIF or PNG format as separate files or appended to the manuscript. TIFF images are also acceptable but may be converted to another format during document production. Please submit full resolution images. They will be published at the highest resolution considered to be technically feasible.
- A list of captions should accompany the manuscript.
- Videos and 3D PDF images illustrating concepts discussed in papers should be referred to, and submitted as appendices to papers. AIG will provide a URL for this content that will be linked to papers during preparation for publication.
AIG Notebook Articles
- AIG Notebook articles should be no more than 8 pages of 1.5 to double spaced text on a A4 page with minimum 2.5 cm margins.
- Powerpoint presentations containing no more than 25 slides, including a title slide and references, may also be submitted for publication.
- All other requirements mirror those of AIG Journal papers.
- Sources of information must be appropriately acknowledged.
- The Harvard Author-Date referencing system should be used. An excellent and up to date guide to the use of the Harvard system has been published by the University of Sydney Library. Please adhere to the citation and reference formats specified in this guide.
- Many word-processing applications also support the Harvard Author-Date system of citing other publications.
Manuscripts should be preceded by a cover page stating:
- Title of the paper or article
- Author’s names, including post nominals.
- Current addresses and email addresses for authors
- Submission Category – AIG Journal or AIG Notebook
- Manuscript submission date
- A contact email address for the author responsible for managing contact with the AIG Journal Publications panel.
- A declaration that the manuscript represents the original work of the authors. For example:
“The authors of this manuscript declare that it represents their original work, or a duly acknowledged review of the published and unpublished work of others. The authors also declare that the manuscript has not been published or accepted for publication by another journal, professional institute or learned society. The authors acknowledge that failure to comply with these requirements or making a misleading declaration in submitting this manuscript may be grounds for a complaint of non-compliance with the Australian Institute of Geoscientists’ Code of Ethics”.
All submissions for publication in either the AIG Journal or Notebook will be peer reviewed. Reviewers will be selected by the Editorial Panel. The Editorial Panel will aim to facilitate rapid publication of all manuscripts.
All papers and notes submitted for publication in both AIG Journal and AIG Notebook must be the author’s own work.
AIG requires that authors who have had their papers accepted for publication sign a copyright release form, granting AIG permission to publish the paper in AIG Journal or AIG Notebook. This is to ensure that AIG holds the distribution rights of the material it publishes and to protect its rights thereafter. The signing of the copyright form is also an acknowledgement by the author/s that the paper does not contain information that infringes the rights of others.
Authors may request permission to republish AIG Journal papers. In most cases AIG will grant permission for an AIG Journal paper to be republished elsewhere, with appropriate acknowledgement given to AIG as the original publisher. The request must be received from the author in writing via email@example.com and should contain the following information:
- title and number of the paper (e.g. 2013-003)
- author name(s)
- the publication in which the paper is to be republished
- name of the publisher for the publication in which the paper is to be republished
- whether the paper is to republished in its original form or if changes are to be made.
Republication requests will be considered individually.